Friday, July 18, 2014

Creamy Potato Salad

In May, I was in New Orleans to celebrate my son's graduation from Tulane Law School. The graduation was spectacular, but ran nearly 3 hours.

 My daughter-in-law and son had planned to prepare Jambalaya for lunch, but since that afternoon was the smaller law school ceremony they picked up BBQ. Lauren mentioned the potato salad at this restaurant was her absolute favorite.  Instead of the usual mustard potato salad I'm familiar with this was made with a sour cream base. 

On Monday, I attempted this type of potato salad.  Did I mention it has bacon in it? I had planned to start with this recipe, and make changes based on my own taste.   Unfortunately, I bought what I thought were red potatoes, but they turned to mush while boiling.  At that point, I was so frustrated I didn't bother trying to mix and taste.  The more I mixed or stirred, the more mashed the potatoes became.

I had two helpings.  I think it was the bacon.  Who doesn't love bacon???

Potato Salad

3 lbs. Red Potatoes
3/4 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Mayonnaise (Original recipe uses light sour cream and light mayo, which I did NOT do.)
6 Green Onions, Sliced
4 Slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
Coarse salt and pepper

Cut up potatoes and boil in salted water until just tender. Mix sour cream and mayo. Drain potatoes and fold in mayo mixture.  Add green onions and bacon. Can be served warm or chilled.  If chilling, add bacon right before serving.

It's funny, as I'm looking at the original recipe, the potatoes look kind of mashed.  I guess if I'd garnished my salad for the picture, the two wouldn't look that different.


Menu for Tuesday & Wednesday:

Tuesday: Spaghetti & Meatballs, Toasted garlic bagels, Salad
Actual: Spaghetti & Meatballs, Garlic Toast, Green Salad, Watermelon & Blueberries
Wednesday: Grilled Salmon, 3 bean salad w/smoked Gouda, Baked Potatoes
Actual: I stuck to the menu!

No comments: