Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Simple Meal

In the summer, I do a lot of salads and fruit for main dishes, as well as sides. In our gluten-filled days, bread was a staple with salad or as a filler with grilled meat & salad. I like summer meals that are easy to put together, without turning on the oven. Not the right time to practice making gluten-free breads. What could be easier than a can of beans?

First I turned on the outdoor grill, where I cooked Lemon Pepper Chicken. In the 5 minutes it took to heat the grill, I shucked some corn and popped it into the pressure cooker for 5 minutes. I then put these beans on the stove:

1 can black beans
1 TBS chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TBS chopped fresh-from-the-garden cilantro
pinch of salt& cumin

Saute onions & in a smidge of oil. Add can of beans, salt, and cumin. Put lid on pan and simmer on low.

After cooking the chicken, I put a bowl of cherries and blueberries on the table and we enjoyed a simple meal of Lemon Pepper Chicken, Corn-on-the-cob, Black Beans, & fruit.

I pulled this meal together in less than 20 minutes.

No comments: