Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chicken Bacon Pita



While in Arizona last week, my parents took me to an awesome restaurant. I had a smoked turkey pita sandwich. I wish I'd paid attention to what was in it. But it was so delicious, all I could do was enjoy it. This recipe is certainly different from that, but similar too. (The first one didn't have bacon, but I improvised since I didn't have smoked turkey.)

I thought this would be good on Fry Bread, but thought I'd save the calories and make pita bread instead. I used Tammy's Pita Bread recipe. I think I baked them a bit too long, as mine came out not so pliable. We managed to enjoy every bite.
Ingredients:
3-4 boneless chicken Breasts
1/2 lb. thick bacon
1/2 onion, sliced
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 avocado
Pita Bread

Feta Dressing Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonniase
1/2 cup sour cream
a bit of milk, to thin if necessary
1TBS red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 TBS fresh chopped parsley
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Mix Dressing ingredients and refrigerate. (For creamier dressing, blend in food processor.) Tastes best after a few hours or overnight.

Prepare Pita pockets or Fry Bread


According to Tammy, they shouldn't be this brown.

Slice Bacon.


Fry in a skillet until cooked.


Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.



Leave bacon drippings. Add chicken to skillet and cook over med. high heat. Add onions, salt, pepper. Cook until chicken no longer has any pink to it. Drain and remove to serving dish.



Slice avocado. Fill pockets with chicken/bacon mix, avocado and feta dressing, or place on top of pita bread and fold over.


No comments: