Wednesday, September 10, 2014

GF Panzanella Salad

I had never heard of panzanella salad, but with all of these lovely tomatoes from my garden, I went in search of a tomato salad recipe.  I was a bit disheartened to find recipes with french bread when we are gluten free.  That is until I realized I had a loaf of GF bread that was going to get moldy if I didn't eat it up quick.  Now that two more daughters and my mother-in-law has moved out, it wasn't very likely that the two of us left would finish the loaf. so I used PW's recipe for Panzanella (with a few obvious and not so obvious changes) to make a bread salad that was also gluten free.

So here is my version:
  • 1 loaf Gluten Free Bread
  • A variety of  Tomatoes, Cut or sliced (I used about 3-4 cups)
  • 1 cup Basil Leaves, sliced or gently torn
  • 1/2 cup smoked Gouda Cheese, cubed
  • 1/2 sweet onion, slivered
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Salt And Pepper
  • Olive Oil, For Drizzling
Because I didn't have french bread, I cubed the bread and spread it on a cookie sheet. I warmed it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 20 minutes so it was more like croutons, then cooled.

Place the bread in a bowl.  Add onion and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Add cheese and basil and mix gently. Cover and allow to sit until ready to serve. (If it's going to be more than a couple of hours, you may refrigerate but tomatoes lose flavor and texture very quickly when chilled. My advice is never to chill/refrigerate tomatoes.)

Enjoy!

No comments: