Monday, December 5, 2011

GF Peppermint Bark


My nephew started a baking blog.  I shared a couple of his recipes when he was here visiting.  His first blog recipe is Polygonal Peppermint Bark.  After hearing how wonderful it was, I embarked on my own journey to create a gluten free candy/dessert. I love mint, and thought a layer of dark chocolate would be delightful with the white chocolate. I have one daughter who does not like mint, so I tried not to make it too minty. If I was making this for myself, I'd add a bit more mint.

9 oz. Bakers Premium White Chocolate
1 Bag Ghiradelli Dark or Semi Sweet Chocolate
4 tsp. shortening, divided
2 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2-3/4 cup crushed candy canes

Line 9 x 13 inch pan with non stick foil or parchment paper.  Place dark chocolate in glass dish and melt in microwave.  I have a setting to melt chocolate and used that.  Do not overheat.  Stir frequently to avoid burning.  Stir in 2 tsp. peppermint extract.  Spread in pan.  Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden.

Melt white chocolate as you did the dark.  You can add more peppermint if desired, but I left the white layer plain.  Spread over dark chocolate.  Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the top.  Place in refrigerator to harden.  Can be broken or cut into pieces for serving.

No comments: