Thursday, January 6, 2011

Neon Green Coleslaw


I couldn't sleep the other night. I happened upon a cooking show. I don't normally watch cooking shows. I know, one would think because I enjoy cooking that I'd like to watch the experts at work. I don't.

Guests were asked what their last meal would be if they could eat anything, anywhere they'd like. One of them said, "a BBQ Sandwich from ___." (I promptly forgot the name.) It was a small diner, somewhere in Memphis, Tennessee that served BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw plopped atop and oozing out the sides of an enormous bun. Neon green coleslaw.

I had never heard of such a thing. I searched online for and sure enough, it was called mustard coleslaw. Not being a big coleslaw fan, but loving pulled pork BBQ, I thought I'd give it a try.

I made a big batch of Carnitas. They were delicious, but my goal was to have enough leftover to make BBQ Pork the following day. I wanted to concentrate my efforts on making the neon green coleslaw. And here it is:

I chose my ingredients based on what would work best to achieve the neon color. Having never tasted this before, this seemed the best way to come close to the original version of this dish. Maybe one day, I'll serve this to someone who has actually eaten in the South and see how it compares. In the meantime, it was delicious served next to a stack of BBQ.

No comments: