Friday, July 16, 2010

Chicken Rice Salad With Artichokes


I've been wanting to make Chicken Rice Salad for awhile, but it's made with Rice-a-roni, which is NOT gluten free. I think I like the new version even better than the old.

1 cup rice
2 TBS fresh chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 chicken bouillon cube, gluten free
1/8 tsp. turmeric
4-6 green onions, chopped
4 stalks chopped celery
1 cup chopped cooked chicken or 1 can of chicken breast
1/3 cup stuffed green olives, sliced
1 12 oz. jar quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice with bouillon, parsley, celery salt, turmeric, and onion powder in 1 3/4-2 cups of water. (I'm at a high altitude, so you may need less water. After 15 minutes, I check on the rice and add more water if necessary.) Chop vegetables. Mix mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice & Worcestershire sauce. When rice is cooked, remove from pan and chill. If I'm in a hurry, I spread it out on a non-stick foil lined pan for a few minutes. Place in a big bowl and add green onions, water chestnuts, celery, chicken, olives, artichoke hearts, and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in dressing, mixing well. Chill and serve.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Many people in our family are not fans of super creamy mayo dressings. I doubled this recipe for a brunch but only used 1 cup of mayo but with double the seasonings because of the volume of the rice. My rice was moist after cooking. I used mixture of wild rice, light and dark. Everyone wants the recipe now!