Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gluten Free Pizza!


I tried again to make gluten free pizza. I found a lovely thick pre-made, thick, gluten-free crust. For the thin crust, I made it from scratch. The family was happy, especially Elisabeth. But next time, I'm buying new yeast. I think mine was a bit dead. The past few years I've cut back on making homemade bread. I hadn't noticed the expiration date on the yeast jar, but knew it was probably getting old. (Some time ago, I stocked up on yeast when it was on sale.) After making the pizza and thinking the dough, albeit gluten free, wasn't as pliable as I thought it should be, I finally checked that date. Hmmm...03/05/05, more than 4 years past the date. I threw the rest away so I would try to use it again.

3/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix (I use Bob's Mill)
3/4 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
2 TBS powdered milk (for GFCF diet, omit or use non-dairy substitute)
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1 tsp. salt
1 TBS yeast
1/2 cup warm, not hot water
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. honey (or you can use sugar)

Toppings:
GF pizza sauce (sorry, I don't have a great recipe-I use Contadina's)
Mozzarella cheese (for GFCF diet, use goat mozzarella or soy)
Pepperoni, I like Hormel turkey which is GF
Bacon, again Hormel
any veggies or fruit, I like onions, green peppers, & mushrooms

Place water, honey, & yeast in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Add vinegar & olive oil to water. Add in dry ingredients. If you have a good stand mixer, this can be mixed on high for a few minutes.

On counter or surface clean of any gluten, sprinkle tapioca flour. Remove dough on from bowl and continue to kneed in tapioca flour until dough can be shaped easily.

Divide in half and roll out to desired thickness. You can also lightly spray pan/stone with non-stick spray, or use gf cornmeal and roll out dough directly in pan. This works well if you have Pampered Chef's small rolling pin.

Bake 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Can be cooled and refrigerated/frozen until later use or add toppings. Bake 10-15 minutes with toppings, or until done.

No comments: