Friday, July 9, 2010

Spring Ham Casserole-Updated

Wanting to use up the leftover Easter ham? This is an easy dish my family enjoys. It varies each time I make it, but here is the basic recipe:

As usually happens, my menu plan this week was altered. I haven't cooked this since going gluten free. But this most certainly is now. Unfortunately as I finished up I realized I did not have any Parmesan cheese. C'est la vie.

2 TBS butter
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup light cream
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp. gf chicken boullion
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups diced ham
1 8 oz pkg. gluten free pasta-I used Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-2 TBS fresh chopped Parsley to garnish

Saute onion, celery, mushrooms, & red pepper in butter until tender. Add in sour cream and light cream or milk stirring until smooth and warmed. Do not let boil. Toss with ham, pasta, salt, pepper and parsley. Top with parmesan cheese and serve.

(Original Recipe)
2 TBS butter
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 cup light cream (or sour cream)
1 TBS flour
2 tsp. instant chicken boullion
8 oz. sliced mushrooms (optional)
2 cups diced ham
1 8 oz pkg. spaghetti, cooked
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-2 TBS fresh chopped Parsley to garnish

Melt butter on high in microwave. Add diced celery, onion, mushrooms and green pepper. Cook 2 minutes, or until onion is transparent. .Add cream, bouillion, flour. Then gradually add 1 cup water. Mix, then cook on high 12-14 minutes, or until thick, stirring twice during cooking. Toss in ham, spaghetti and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley.

This can be cooked in a pot on the stove instead of microwaved.

1 comment:

ann said...

This is just what I was looking for. And we used all those hard boiled eggs to make your deviled egg recipe. Yum! I use the sweet pickle juice.