Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How To Prepare Gluten Free Food

Because I have Celiac, these foods cause me to become extremely sick:

Wheat
Barley
Oats
Rye

If you are preparing foods containing these ingredients, they cannot come in contact with my food. This means separate, clean utensils, pans, pots and any surface that might come in contact with my food. The slightest cross-contamination causes me to become violently ill. This includes things like using a toaster to toast gluten free bread that is also used for regular bread. Using tongs to turn the chicken, you so carefully prepared with gluten free ingredients, immediately after flipping the chicken soaked in beer will ruin your efforts. Please be careful.

Here is a list ingredients that contain gluten or may: flour, pasta, beer, MSG, sauces thickened with flour (pure cornstarch is ok) tamari, soy sauce, teriyaki, bouillon cubes, canned or cream soups and broths, wheat germ, natural flavorings, hydrolized vegetable protein, anything that is breaded or topped with bread crumbs, farina, malt, modified food starch...these ingredients show up in spices, seasoning mixes, canned products and just about anywhere. If you are unsure, please err on the side of caution and don't use on my food.

If you have questions, please ask. I hope this helps. But if you prefer, I can bring my own food. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No comments: