Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Crockpot Apple Dessert



I enjoy having people over for dinner, but I want to spend time with them, not just serve them. That is why I so like crockpot meals. One of these days, I just might do a month's worth. As I perused Pioneer Woman's Apple Brown Betty recipe, I thought I might try something similar-but cook it in the slow cooker.

3 cups of peeled, sliced apples
6-10 slices of wheat bread (depending on the size of your bread, I know, I should have measured)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Prepare apples. Slice bread into small cubes. I like to cut off the crusts. Grease the inside of crockpot with a generous amount of butter. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together. Layer 1/2 of the apples, 1/3 of the brown sugar mix, and 1/2 of bread crumbs. Repeat and finish with the brown sugar. Top with a stick of grated butter.
(Margarine does not work for grating.) I realize it probably looks like cheese on top, but I love having even butter coverage for dishes. This is the best and easiest way to do it.
Cook on low for 3 hours. Pull removable liner out of crockpot and let cool a bit before serving. I also removed the glass lid so the top wouldn't be soggy. It was great topped with vanilla ice cream!

No comments: