Sunday, January 18, 2009

Black-eyed Pea Salad



I was amused as I read of others making "traditional New Year's food." I wondered what in the world they were talking about. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, having grown up in the Phoenix area-well except for great Mexican Food. Honestly, I've never heard about the good luck black-eyed peas deliver if eaten the day of the year. Truthfully, I'd never eaten a single black-eyed pea in my entire life.

After seeing the Pioneer Woman's Black-Eyed Pea Dip, I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure why they are in the pea family they taste and look like beans. Split peas at least are green, so look like peas.

2 cans black eyed peas, drained
1 chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped celery, include leaves
4-6 chopped green onions
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2-1 fresh chopped jalapeno (remove seeds before chopping)
1 cup fresh chopped parsley (or cilantro)

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp
Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

Mix vinegar, spices & olive oil for dressing. Chop vegetables and add to drained peas. Mix all together and refrigerator an hour or so. Stir before serving.

We ate this as a salad with Glazed MahiMahi & rice last night. It was delicious. The pioneer woman serves it with chips as a salsa. Must be the jalapeno pepper that makes one want to eat it with chips.

No comments: