Thursday, November 1, 2007

Egg Salad Sandwiches



This is a sandwich my kids often have on a Monday. I grocery shop on Mondays, so by Sunday when I'm thinking of lunches for the next day, I almost always have eggs. So egg salad is a standby. (Chicken Salad is another, as I buy canned chicken in bulk and can put that together quite easily.)


8 hard-cooked eggs* (When I boil eggs, I usually do extra. They make a nice addition to salads.)
2-4 TBS dill relish or chopped dill pickles
1/4 tsp. onion powder or 1 TBS fresh chopped onion
1/3 cup mayonaise
1 TBS yellow mustard
salt
pepper
1/4 tsp. vinegar or pickle juice

Peel and chop eggs. (Someone suggested using a potato masher, but mine isn't the strainer type.) Add onion and relish. Mash in with a fork. Add mayo, mustard and juice. Mix well. Serve on your favorite bread or over lettuce as a salad.

*To hardboil eggs: Place eggs in pan and cover with water. Turn heat on high until water begins to boil. Turn heat down so that it is a softer boil/simmer. Cook 15 minutes. Cool in cold water, then refrigerate if not using immediately.

No comments: